Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rough sketch, bed and breakfast

I've been commissioned to do a small pen and ink drawing of a local bed and breakfast. The land used to be a horse farm, many years ago, and a couple of Kentucky Derby winners were raised there.  That's why the owner asked to me to include a horse.

I've spent some time this week trying to figure out a layout.  This is the one I came up with last night, and I think it might work.  I decided to take a slightly more stylized approach to the drawing, shorten the yard to the horse and house were closer together, and keep an open mind in deciding on shading in the road and the yard.  This won't be much more than 6 x 9 inches, so playing up clarity and contrast will be important.

I sent a scan of this sketch to the owner to see how she likes it. If it will work, I'll start on the drawing shortly.

I also need to keep planning the next phase of the mural work I'm doing.  The next part will be a tree, and I've decided to include some macaws.  I'm kind of looking forward to working on that, but getting the planning work done is tough.  I'm off right now to do some selecting from the macaw reference photos I got courtesy of the image library at wetcanvas.com and the kind contributors there.

No comments:

Post a Comment